Helping families be healthier
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) is a free nutrition program for women, children and families. Services include nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support and supplemental healthy foods for you and your family. Qualified women receive at least four nutrition education appointments with a WIC educator per year. Women who participate in the sessions receive WIC checks to buy wholesome foods including fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, eggs, cheese, whole grains, beans, canned fish and peanut butter.
New! WIC is now issuing debit-style eWIC cards to participants to pay for WIC-allowable foods. The card replaces paper checks. WIC food allocations will automatically be added to participants' cards, eliminating the need to come to the clinic for new checks. It also makes the check out process much easier.
Research has found:
- WIC increases duration of pregnancy and reduces fetal deaths, infant mortality and low birthweight.
- WIC improves the growth of nutritionally at-risk infants and children and decreases iron deficientcy anemia in children.
- WIC improves the dietary intake of pregnant and postpartum women and improves weight gain in pregnant women.
- Pregnant women participating in WIC receive prenatal care earlier.
- Children enrolled in WIC are more likely to have a regular source of medical care and have up to date immunizations.
- WIC improves children's diets; children who receive WIC benefits demonstrate improved intellectual development.
Pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children up to age 5 who meet certain income requirements are eligible for the free program. For more information or to see if your family qualifies, call 970-871-7677.